Sunday, December 18, 2011

I'll Have the Chicken Please

At a recent church dinner Mother was standing in the buffet line waiting her turn. The ministers who were serving the meal asked each person in line if they would like the white meat or the dark meat of the turkey they had prepared.

When it came time for my mother to answer the question, she pointed at the dark meat and said, "I don't like turkey, I've never liked turkey - then pointed to the white meat and said, "I'll have some of this chicken". The ministers could hardly contain their laughter, and dutifully placed the white meat on her plate. She raved throughout the dinner how moist and tasty the chicken was.

I've written this short event here so I'll remember this sweet story, and because I'm sure there will be days in the future that will be dark and overwhelming. For now, I smile and revel in the light, and hold the words of this story in my heart for future smiles!

No comments:

Post a Comment