Sunday, March 22, 2015

I'MMMMM BAAAAACK...................

It's been a long time since I last posted something about mom. A few years have passed and many, many things that I could have posted about are now in the past.

In April of last year, she became ill and was hospitalized. In May, she entered skilled nursing and in June we admitted her permanently to a full time nursing facility.

This awful disease called Alzheimer's continues its journey. May days the roads are filled with potholes and some days there is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. But, one thing remains certain, the disease has no rhyme or reason. The emotional ups and downs for family members are ever changing.

Mom for now is content. She loves her surroundings, but constantly challenges family and staff with her cries of "I want to come home". It tugs at our heart-strings, it pierces our guilt and taxes our emotional strength. We cannot bring her home for none of us have the strength or stamina any longer to care for her needs 24/7.

I'm glad to report that physically she is as strong as a horse. If we were to put a pedometer on her, we'd probably be reporting a minimum of 10,000 steps a day. That walker of hers get a workout every single day. It's just a shame that her minds is not keeping up with her body, but that's just the way it is. There's really nothing we can do about it until "they" find a cure.

It does not mean that we don't love her - in fact, it means that we love her more. Because, instead of two to three people overseeing her needs, she has an army of dedicated staff to feed, bathe, clean and keep her active day in and day out. I commend the facility where she lives - they are true servants, maybe even close to saints!

I hope to write more soon. Some days will be glimpses of the past few years (to help you all fill in the missing pieces). Writing is cathartic for me. It calms me and keeps my emotions in check. It's the gift God has given to me to get me through the bad and the good times. Thanks friend for walking this journey with me. I value you and your sympathetic and often empathetic eyes.

Later...

No comments:

Post a Comment