Monday, April 13, 2015

Short, but Sweet

My momma always said, "Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get." ~ Forrest Gump

This morning, I woke up startled from a nightmare/dream that seemed so very real. Mother was standing beside my bed offering me a piece of her favorite chocolate, pecan turtles. She was loving and kind and when I asked her why she wasn’t at her care facility, she sweetly told me that she had just walked out the front door, took a ride with a nice man, stole a box of her favorite chocolates from the local grocery store, and then walked to my house.
As I cleared the cobwebs from my foggy brain, I wasn’t sure whether to be horrified or delighted at what I had just experienced! (or dreamed I'd just experienced!)

Our minds are a funny thing, even for those of us who are not living daily with the confusion of Alzheimer’s. We Advocates and Caregivers never truly rest, our loved ones always on our minds. We toss and turn with the ravages of this disease. We too seek respite from the wake of its devastation.
Maybe it was a dream or some wishful thinking that manifested itself into a dream. But, for now, I can smile, remembering that mother’s favorite chocolates are what she would offer me if she were to walk through my back door, into my bedroom, and reach down lovingly to offer me a piece while I'm sleeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment