Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Hello Mother

When I arrived home from my day at work and my personal counseling session, I found Mother chipper and fully aware.

For most of my life, I've known how much she loves the sunshine. She's actually been called the "sun goddess" throughout her life as she spent many a summer's day basking in its warmth. She's always loved watching the sun catch the vast crystal collection she has in her place - red, yellow and green shadows, brightly reflecting on the egg-shell walls on the opposite sides of her room - her own special gift from God.

Today was no different. The light and warmth of the autumn day cheered her. She and the dog had gone outside for a stroll - my mother picking up random leaves from the porch and our white boxer, Pearl faithful by her side.

I took time to sit with her tonight knowing that our conversation would not be salt and peppered with tantrums and accusations - I'm slowly learning to enjoy these moments for they are now few and far between. As we ate our sandwiches, she recalled the day with pleasure and she ate her sandwich with the same resolve.

What will tomorrow bring? Not really sure, and for most of us, it's a waste of energy to speculate. For tomorrow will bring what it will bring, but today Mother handed me a grocery list!

No comments:

Post a Comment