Sunday, November 20, 2011

Shopping!

Yesterday I took Mother to the beauty shop - again, at every turn I was criticized for my driving. "Why are you so far behind the car in front of you? Why do you have your lights on? Why are you driving so slow." I politely placed my hand on her leg to reassure her that I was doing all of these things to get us there safely. Obviously, her only priority was to get to the beauty shop on time! Thus, the strong suggestion by her Dr. at the Gerlach Center that she hand in her car keys (more about this later I'm sure when it's time to sell her car).

After dropping her off at the beauty shop, I scurried to my new respite, Einstein Bagels where I ordered a cinnamon bear claw and a cup of English tea (with cream of course!) Forty-five minutes of pure relaxation, reading and sipping tea. I'm learning that I must take a few moments here and there for me. The caregiver must find the things that please her and indulge before the madness begins once again.

After a call from Mother that she was ready to be picked up, we headed down the road to run a few errands. First JoAnn Fabrics where I picked up some needles for a home project. There Joan ran into an old friend and chatted the time away while I went for the car. Next stop Aldi's to buy a few essentials. With today's tight budgets, it's the food store of my choice. Then onto the Pepperidge Farm outlet for some tasty bread items.

Mother loves to shop and I knew that if we didn't hit at least one retail store, she would think she hadn't been out. Located right down the way from the bread store was an American Cancer Society Discovery store. If you've never been there, I strongly suggest it for a good thrift store shopping experience. The store is clean and well organized. The quality of merchandise is grand, and I found a cream and sugar for my 85 year old Noritake china set! Another one of those respite moments!

Weary from the day's activities we meandered home and unloaded the car. It's then one of those precious moments happened. "I really had a good time today," she sheepishly said. "I'm glad", was my reply. I didn't get a thing done in the house. I didn't turn any more pages in the book I was reading, but what I gained was a glimpse of serving without anger, a day that was pleasant and sweet - a day for the memory book.

No comments:

Post a Comment