Wednesday, November 9, 2011

No Soup for You!

Remember Jerry Seinfeld's hilarious episode "The Soup Nazi"? One of the quotes from this episode goes as follows, "The guy who runs the place is a little temperamental, especially about the ordering procedure. He's secretly referred to as the Soup Nazi." "Why? What happens if you don't order right?" "He yells and you don't get your soup." - Jerry and Elaine, in "The Soup Nazi"

So much for my theory of sunny days and my mother's sweet temperament. This disorder or disease known as Alzheimer's has no rhyme or reason. The day was just as gorgeous as the day before, but my mother's mood was not.

It's been a week now since her driver's license was taken away from her, and she's feeling the pull of her independence waining. She's cooped up and she doesn't like it. Even Larry's sweet gesture of grocery shopping for my mother did not brighten her spirit.

A call to me at work assured me that all was not well with her world. Larry had stopped by the house to pick up her grocery list, but it was no longer in the place where I had put it that morning. A quick call to my mother was met with fiery words and disgust. "Where is your grocery list Mother?" "I took it back, I didn't think he (Larry) was going to the store for me. He's been gone all morning. I haven't seen him." "Mother," I said,he's going now, could you bring your list back down stairs?" With a huff and an angry gait, she returned the grocery list to it's earlier resting place, totally ignoring Larry's presence. (more about this relationship in a future post or two.)

Larry shopped for everything on her list, including the canned soups she enjoys almost daily. To save her 50 cents a can, he bought the store brand. Well, you would have thought he committed an atrocity!

Later that evening, she made her final appearance for the day. Not to thank Larry for doing her shopping, not to come down to socialize, but to share with Larry that her soup was horrible and that it was the worst tasting stuff she's ever eaten! Well, it seems as though we have a Soup Nazi living in our house right now, because if your don't order right, she yells...

"Why? What happens if you don't order right?" "He yells and you don't get your soup." - Jerry and Elaine, in "The Soup Nazi"

No comments:

Post a Comment